VaporWare Announces X-Arc 1.3 Now Available
X-Arc is an archive management program for the Amiga, designed in a
similar fashion to WinZip(r) on Windows(r) systems and Stuff-It(r) for
X-Arc is somewhat different from previously released archive management
tools: those programs provided no more than a graphical interface on top
of existing archiver commands, often in a incomplete and inflexible way.
X-Arc offers the user an extremely intuitive interface for the more
often performed operations, whilst complimenting this with a range of
advanced options suitable for the expert user.
X-Arc provides the user with a brand new and sophisticated way to add
files to an archive, mixing speed and power never seen in any similar
program on any operating system.
X-Arc is based on a modular concept, allowing any third party to develop
modules to handle new archive formats without having to alter the main
X-Arc offers the ability to perform many operations, using drag&drop,
from within the main program or with standard Workbench icons (ie. drag
files from your Workbench screen to X-Arc's lister window). X-Arc also
supports drag&drop with Scalos based lister windows.
X-Arc is supplied with an advanced file recognition engine, based on
both filename and content matching, allowing the user to display any file
using a suitable external viewer.
X-Arc's interface is highly configurable and customisable.
X-Arc allows the user to install software from within the archives, in a
matter of seconds, with its installer support.
Where to download it:
FTP: ftp.vapor.com, pub/xarc/
X-Arc.lha, 598500 Bytes
(Note that ftp.us.vapor.com has generally the best
connectivity of the listed mirror sites)
http://vapor.ukonline.co.uk/ (File mirror only)
http://www.meanmachine.ch/vapor/ (File mirror only)
New features since X-Arc last release (1.2) include:
- Installer support: you can now install software from within X-Arc,
without the needs to extract the archive, by just press the install button
- Several major and minor bugfixes
- Speed improvement
- Some GUI redesign
- Some new small functions and optimized old ones
- Some new settings in the preferences
- Other minor ones improvements
New features since X-Arc release 1.1 include:
- 4 months spent to rewrite almost all program's basic routines
- Several bugs fixed, some of which where severe ones
- Fixed some illegal memory accesses
- Loading and parsing routines totally rewritten
- All secondary routine has been adapted to the new internal program
- You can now update the contents of a directory of loaded archive without
having to reload the whole archive
- If you perform an operation within one branch of the archive (e.g.
adding a file), only this branch is updated. The whole archive is not
- New routines can handle flawlessly even archives version 1.1 had problem
- Version 1.2 is 1.5 times faster than the previous version, which is a
good result since new routines are more sophisticated and reliable
- Scalos support for drag&drop
- A file-attributes column added
- Other minor ones
Amiga News IndexAmiga Web Directory
Champaign-Urbana Computer Users Group / firstname.lastname@example.org