Paul Nolan's Photogenics 4.0 to Launch at Amiga99 Show
For Immediate Release
From: Paul Nolan
Data: 9th March 1999
Paul Nolan is proud to announce Photogenics 4.0, a complete rewrite of the
original Photogenics, and the culmination of over four years of
Photogenics is a graphics/art package. It allows you to create stunning
images, either from scratch or by modifying existing images. It can be
used for a multitude of purposes, from simple file conversion, to advanced
photo manipulation and re-touching. It also offers extremely realistic
and easy to use media such as pencils, chalk and watercolours to create
stunning masterpieces in minutes.
Photogenics is based on innovation. At its core, it works on images unlike
any other product. Nothing you draw is permanent, it can be rubbed out as
easily as it was drawn, and tweaked to perfection. This freedom allows you
to experiment to a level never before seen.
Photogenics 4.0 features:
- Unparalleled levels of creativity from being able to modify the colour,
transparency, image processing mode, and even the position of what you
have drawn, all in real time!
- Realistic Media tools such as Airbrush, Chalk, Pencil, Sponge,
Watercolour, Smudge and Smear.
- Designed to look and feel good using just a standard mouse.
- Paint-on Image Processing allows the user to apply effects simply by
drawing with any of the media tools. Being able to just airbrush
everything on (and off!) allows instant touch ups without the need for
tedious masking. Paint modes available include AddColour, Adjust
(Brightness/Contrast/Red/Green/Blue), Bas Relief, BiColour, Blur, Burn,
BurnThru, Clone, ColourToGrey, Convolve, Darken, DifferenceRGB,
DisplaceMap, Dodge, EdgeDetect, Emboss, FlipX, FlipY, Hardlight, Lighten,
Min, Max, MotionBlur, Multiply, Negative, Overlay, Paint, PanBlur,
Pixelize, Posterize, RadialBlur, Roll, RubPaint, RubThru, Screen, Fire,
Solarize, Softlight, SubtractColour, and Tint.
- Exclusive Paint Layer technology allows mistakes to be rubbed out
without having to redo the good parts, simply by fading out with the right
- Undo/Redo system allows you to go back as far as you specify, so that
you have the power of both undo styles.
- Unlimited number of easy to use layers allows fast image composition and
- Stunning Paint-On Pyrotechnics such as lens-flares, fire, and
explosions. Combine with smear to produce supernovas, waves of fire, and
even sunsets and waterfalls.
- Innovative clutter free user interface (font sensitive and user
scaleable). GUI components can be docked/undocked, and positioned wherever
- Fully multi-threaded - you'll never be kept waiting as Photogenics
responds instantly to your requests even while operations are in progress.
- Advanced yet still easy to use Alpha channel support. Use any open image
as a mask, or simply paint one straight on to the image. Updates to the
Alpha channel such as brush strokes are reflected on the main image in
- 24bit Alpha channels. Only Photogenics lets you use colour Alpha
channels, which enable you to independently mask each of the red green and
blue channels. Paint on the Alpha with red, and this lets the red
component show through, paint on with yellow, and both the red and green
channels are updated. Painting with shades of grey produce masking as
normal. Create awesome effects by loading in a 24bit Alpha channel and
using it to mask image-processing effects.
- Text Tool - finally you can just drag a box where you want the text, and
type it straight onto any paint layer. Supports bitmapped and scalable
fonts, with antialiasing.
- Multiple Views - allows you to have as many views of an image as you
like, each with its own magnification.
- Impressive colour selection facilities, with five colour choosers, RGB
and HSV sliders, and support for 256 colour swatches. You can also pick
colours from Images, with changes updating in real time.
- Extensive file format support. Current list includes loading and saving
IFF-ILBM, IFF-DEEP, JPEG, Targa, TIFF, BMP, PNG, with more to follow.
Photogenics also supports loading with 24bit DataTypes.
- 24bit Printing support via StudioPrint.
- Open Architecture - Photogenics is effectively just one big collection
of plug-ins that blends seamlessly to form one program. Third party
developers can have access to the same API as Photogenics does, allowing
developers to extend the core software to an amazing degree.
68020, 8Mb RAM, Amiga OS 3.0,CD ROM drive.
68060, 16 or 24bit display, 16Mb RAM, Amiga OS 3.0, CD ROM drive.
Be sure to visit the show to be one of the first to experience
Photogenics. There will be two demonstrations, one Saturday morning at
9:15 AM CST, and one on Sunday afternoon at 2:45 PM CST, plus it will be
available to purchase at a special show price. Please see
http://www.amiga-stl.com/show.html for more details.
Pricing details to follow shortly.
Amiga News IndexAmiga Web Directory
Champaign-Urbana Computer Users Group / firstname.lastname@example.org