Nordic Global Announces Daytona, Free Java for AmigaOS
Nordic Global made a surprise announcement at Amiga99--Java for the
Amiga! And best of all, the runtime package and developer package will be FREE!
Java(tm) for AmigaOS
Daytona is a complete Java 2 runtime system for AmigaOS, based on the
"Java 2 Platform" by Sun Microsystems, Inc. Among other things it
contains support for
Daytona is available FREE of charge.
- The complete Java 2 API and class set, directly derived from
Sun's reference implementation, and therefore 100% compatible with the
official Java specifications and releases (unlike some other Java
runtime engines for Amiga OS).
- Multithreading, using a native Amiga implementation. No Unix
emulation code or libraries required.
- File and socket I/O (multithreaded) including multicasting, URL
handling and Internet protocol engines.
- AWT (Abstract Windows Toolkit): The basic Daytona package
contains AWT runtime classes, but no native bindings AWT bindings for
native AmigaOS displays are available as part of the Dayton~LUS
- JFC (Java Foundation Classes): Swing, Java 2D.
DaytonaDEV is an add-on to Daytona. It is intended for developers
who want to write their own Java programs, and compile them into Java
byte code. DaytonaDEV contains the following items:
- Java byte-code compiler: launcher and all required runtime classes.
- Various tools (bytecode disassembler, documentation generator, archive management tools etc.)
DaytonaDEV is available FREE of charge.
DaytonaPLUS is an independently developed add-on to Daytona that
provides additional Amiga-specific features. DaytonaPLUS contains:
- AWT bindings for native AmigaOS displays. Includes support for
CyberGraphX and Picasso96 high/truecolor screens.
- BOOPSI "look-and-feel" for Swing.
- Applet API and runtime system with a stand-alone Applet viewer
and a documented Applet API library, allowing Daytona to be used to
add Java Applet support to AmigaOS web browsers.
- PowerPC support for PowerUP
- JIT (Just-In-Time) compilers for 68K and PPC.
- Support for precompiled native (68K and PPC) versions of all
standard Java runtime classes. Daytona and DaytonaDEV come with
complete sets of 68K/PPC-precompiled runtime classes for use with
DaytonaPLUS is distributed as shareware and requires
registration. Registration fee: to be announced. For more information
please contact Holger Kruse at Nordic Global Inc. (kruse@nordicglobal
. corn, http://www.nordicglobal.com/). Projected release date of
first public beta versions: summer 1999. Features are subject to
Daytona, DaytonaDEV and DaytonaPLUS are trademarks of Nordic Global
Inc. Java and all Java-based marks are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other
collutnea. Nordic Global Inc., Daytona, DaytonaDEV and DaytonaPLUS are
independent of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Amiga News IndexAmiga Web Directory
Champaign-Urbana Computer Users Group / email@example.com